Listen to the article
It seems that every day new roles for specialist coaches are being found and realised in today’s ever-changing business world. As the complexity of an organisation increases, the need for specialists can become more and more apparent.
Business coaches help their clients to make better business decisions by utilising advanced methods in effective communication, conflict resolution, change management and negotiation.
A business coach is not a traditional business consultant, business mentor, or business advisor, who will tend to use their experience to guide the business directly. Instead, a business coach will find a method of helping the business owner achieve their goals by working from a more active role. The coach will provide a wealth of ideas and insights, and act as a sounding board.
Business coaching is particularly beneficial in times of change because they help businesses adapt to their realities. This is why they are particularly helpful for entrepreneurs – startup businesses go through a constant state of flux.
A business coach will help manage transition in an effective manner for the company. They are often hired by organisations to address business development objectives and serve as a sounding board for strategic initiatives.
A key objective for some business coaching is gaining alignment throughout an organisation that allows teams to reach their potential through a blend of personal attention and objective feedback or facilitation of group dynamics. There are several different types of business coaches but they all focus on different skills sets and deliver different services to their clients based on those skills.
What are the different types of coach?
- Personal / executive coach
- Business / corporate coach
- Sports / athlete coach
- Artistic/creative coaching
- Behavioral change and performance coach
- Teamwork development professional,
- Transformation coach
- Small business coach
- Entrepreneur coach
- Marketing coach
- Sales coach and sales management coach
- Life coach
- Financial / investment coach
- Healthcare coach
- Career / retirement coach
- Mindset coach
My own coaching services are in the personal / executive / business owner / mindset / entrepreneur and small business areas.
The type of coach you hire depends on what you need to get out of it. A good business coach will help you to determine whether you are a good fit for each other, by evaluating the business goals and also the coaching relationship – where there must be synergy.
What reasons does a business owner have for hiring a coach?
Coaching is an investment in yourself – you need to know that you are investing in your future and the future of your organisation by setting aside time for coaching. If you feel like it’s just another task piled on your plate, then you need to ask yourself if this is indeed worth it.
Business coaching is not about getting things done faster; it’s about developing deep, lasting relationships with people and achieving results that will make your life more fulfilling in the long run.
A business coach will help you to identify what you need to be more successful. This will then allow you to harness your potential and grow in confidence, and become a more effective business leader.
Business coaching can help many different aspects of a business, including problem-solving, decision making, conflict resolution and leadership development.
The best way to be successful is to work with someone who knows how to solve problems and that person can be a business coach. If not a business coach than perhaps a mentor or an organisation that has access to experts in different fields such as marketing, sales or finance.
How can sales teams benefit from business coaching?
The purpose of a sales coach is to motivate the sales team and maximise your revenue while working within your budget. A sales coach will help you and your team with the following:
- Implement a repeatable process for prospecting
- Build a successful pipeline that converts to clients & customers
- Identify new opportunities & uncover new business possibilities
- Define your sales process and put it into action
- Create a culture of accountability within your organisation.
How can marketing teams benefit from business coaching?
Marketing teams can also benefit from business coaching. Business coaching will help the marketing team develop an understanding of their target market to sell their products or services. They can help with the following:
- Defining your marketing strategy
- Compiling and reviewing your marketing plan and strategies
- Coach individuals within the team to build their confidence and skills to help them achieve better results including pitching, selling, presenting and negotiation
How can executives benefit from business coaching?
While the benefits of executive coaching greatly vary from one executive to another, there are some common ones that can benefit all executives:
- Emotional intelligence, to aid with the wider team
- Communication and relationship building
- Increased clarity and actionable plans
- Strategic planning to meet goals
- Empowerment and self-confidence
- Decision making skills
- Learning the skills to become a better leader
As a CEO, managing director, senior executive – or member of the leadership team – the benefit to you may be so much more though – reduction in stress and a happier work life balance are common outcomes too.
How can small business owners benefit from business coaching?
To become a more successful small business owner, you can improve your skills by using small business coaching. In the coaching sessions, you can improve the personal skills that will be beneficial in your own successful business. A small business can benefit in these ways:
- To become more efficient, learn to do less
- Improving your confidence and motivation
- Increasing productivity and sales
- Getting a clear message out about what you are trying to achieve
- See the bigger picture, by understanding the strategies of your competitors
- Improvement in time management skills to help you make better business decisions
- Increase in sales through better negotiating skills and knowledge of your customers’ needs, wants and concerns.
Work with me?
If you believe that you fit within my areas of coaching, feel free to get in touch. I’m an experienced business coach and successful entrepreneur. If you’d like to achieve increased business success and create lasting change, coaching might just fit.